Somerset west dating
The pulpit and lectern were made by Simon Pieter Christoffel Londt in 1853.
The building described as the Krommerivier Barn is situated at the corner of Hofman and Kruger Streets.
Dorp Street is the old wagon road to Cape Town and, just like three centuries ago, visitors still enter the town along the same road.
Thus the old street rightly serves as an introduction to the Town of Oaks, for on both sides of the street one sees the beautiful, shady and gnarled old oak trees of which the biggest old giants probably date back to 1760. The increase in modern traffic which makes the widening of the streets essential, has threatened the life of these trees, but with the cordial co-operation of the Municipality the trees in Dorp Street, between the railway line and Pastorie Street and those in the Avenue between Pastorie and Van Riebeeck Streets, have been proclaimed historical monuments.
This typical town house with slave quarters originally dates from the 18th century.
These changes gave the house a completely new façade: four fluted pilasters with a richly ornamented cornice; a teak stable-door framed by shorter, ribbed pilasters; teak sash-windows with inner shutters of stinkwood and, right at the top, a little palm tree in bas relief, taken from the crest of the community. The outbuildings on either side of the main house were probably also built in Herold time.
However, a new danger—leaf-blight—now threatens these ancient trees. This building was originally used by the College of Landdrost and Heemraden as offices.
The foundation meeting for the educational institution which was to become known as the Gymnasium, was held here in 1863.
All the buildings of the Rhenish Parsonage Complex, built on land granted to Marthinus Byleveld in 1785, date from the beginning of the 19th century.
The main building is the former parsonage of the Rhenish Church and dates from 1815.